The medical language used to write reports can be difficult to understand. To help you interpret your clinical report, we have defined the following terms:
- Disease: the condition or medical issue that was screened for
- Gene: a hereditary unit of DNA that is passed from parents to children. A genetic change (or variant) is a change in a gene that may cause it to not work properly. Having a genetic variant may indicate someone is a carrier.
- Status: your carrier risk level
- Detailed Summary of Residual Risk: the probability that you may still be a carrier even though you received a negative carrier result for that condition
- Inheritance pattern: the ways in which a condition might be passed down from parents to children